Monday, May 21, 2012

Bacharach at the White House

Well I just finished watching "In Performance at the White House" which tonight was a tribute to Burt Bacharach and Hal David and the presentation of the Gershwin award for popular music to them.  Pretty good show. I won't mention the low points .  There were several not the least of which was the lineup of artists picked to play one of the greatest American songbooks. No one else in modern time has done what Bacharach-David has done with lyric and melody.  I am not including the Gershwins whose work is still and will always transform life musically.  At any rate Stevie Wonder's extended harmonica solo on "Alfie" (in my humble opinion B&D's greatest song. Nope, that was "A House is not a Home".  Nope, it was.....) was, in spite or it's unnecessarily over the top moments, an indication that we have never really gotten from Stevie all Stevie has to give.  I really liked his reggae tinged version of "Breaking Up is Hard to Do. Diana Krall's vocal was weak but her piano was tops.  I don't know why they had Lyle Lovett there but I was for the first time ever impressed with Cheryl Crow.  Still don't know why she was picked to sing Bacharach-David but she did a pretty good job and it was sincere.  What really impressed me is that it almost doesn't matter who they picked to sing these amazing songs, the songs made even the roughest performer look good.  

No comments:

Post a Comment