Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Where's my Recorder??

Just a brief note of advice based on my own stumbling around.  If you're a songwriter you know that inspiration can strike you anytime, anywhere.  Whether just words, melody, or both if you don't have a tool to record your ideas it's quite likely some of your world-class, life-changing brilliance will escape into the ether now and again. The other day an idea came from somewhere and built itself into the first verse of a fun to sing pop song.  I was pumped. I'm always pumped when I'm creating.  There's no other feeling like it.  The only thing better is building on that creation and keeping the process going.  Unfortunately I couldn't find my pocket voice recorder anywhere and failed to find a way to record my latest creation.  I could only look so long for it before I had to be on my way to markedly less creative real job. Of course by the end of the day all I had was a handfull of lyrics and chords with no remembered melody.  I quietly mourned the loss of this nugget for two days, then said to myself "forget it,  maybe it will come back."  Luckily, out of the blue it snuck out of  some hidden file in my mind while I was washing dishes or clipping my toenails or something.

So, I dodged a bullet, but I swear my recorder will only be kept in my laptop bag, or in my hand from this day forward.  That is, if I find it.  It's somewhere floating around with 110 clips  that I'm sure I'll never recall from my memory.  I'll do a recording of this song in progress soon.       .

No comments:

Post a Comment