Sunday, March 4, 2012

This is my humble work station in my basement.  It's where I write songs and record very basic tracks.  It ain't much compared to the setups I have seen others use, but I'm a poor boy baby.  Just a little Alesis recorder plugged into an ancient HP computer that isn't used for anything else. No internet connection, no printer hooked up, nuthin'.  Coupla' Samson mics that for sure aren't the best but they were on sale and do a decent job with basic stuff.  I record in Cubase which is what you see on the screen.   There's a little hand-held voice recorder on the table too.  I take it everywhere and record any words or melody ideas that might come to me.  Right now it has like 85 short recordings on it.  Some are just stuff that sneak up on me in the car or ideas I have while I'm practicing guitar and come up with something I think I could lay some words over.  I use it too if I am working on a specific song for several days in a row and I might come up with something anywhere I am.

Another thing I'm working on down here is the harmony vocals for my next CD.  I have recorded all the guitar and lead vocal tracks in a legit studio, brought them home on a disk, loaded it into Cubase and am designing the way I want the harmonies to sound.  I am soooooo slow at this.  But I want them to be different, almost a signature, so it's nice to come down here, turn the computer on, put on the headphones and design away.  It's kind of like making a rough draft or a study .   When I have what I want, I'll go back in the studio and be able to put them together much faster (cheaper).

No comments:

Post a Comment