Monday, March 26, 2012

Writing Into the Sun: Part 2


Okay, so the second verse came as I was driving to work.  I have  a twenty-five minute commute and I often use it to reactivate whatever was on my musical mind the night before.  I find it is a pretty productive time to come up with lyrics or melody ideas.  If I don’t feel like working on a song I listen to my favorite radio station WTMD at Towson State University.  This isn’t just an unsolicited pat on the back.  I actually hear a lot of good and inspiring new music on this station.   Much better than listening to the classic rock or country stations. Good music there as well, but I hunger for fresh musical meat, you know.   I keep a small digital voice recorder with me at all times.  It is invaluable as a songwriter’s tool.  I didn’t have it with me today for some reason so I just had to write the words down as soon as I got to work.  Fortunately I already had the chord structure and melody from the first verse and the chorus.  The words to the chorus came right before I recorded this.  I just decided I had to have something more to record so when I sat down to record the second verse I told myself to pull something out.  Sometimes that impatience and focus works, and sometimes you just have to consider the failed struggle a “seeding” time.  This time I guess there were already some seeds sprouting.


So there we have the first verse and chorus.  That, as usual is the easy part.  In a way, I’ve said everything I wanted to say.  The task now is to either say it again in a second verse,  and maybe a bridge, but in a completely different way.  That, or realize there’s really something else to say, which is a great deal more satisfying.   I don’t know about this young fella’ yet.  There’s nothing jumping out at me, but sitting on it for a couple of days with the understanding that my mind should be running it in the background should hopefully lead to some lovely nugget.  I’ll let you know how many days it takes.   In the meantime I’ll try to post a couple of other things or maybe even start another song.  Nitey-nite.

No comments:

Post a Comment