Sunday, April 29, 2012

Writing "Into the Sun". Final

Well, after a couple of weeks of just plain avoiding this song and getting a bit off track with the subject matter I finally pulled my messy mind together and loped to the finish line of this song.  I realized as I was writing it  that I had a couple of friends in mind who every year look forward impatiently to the warmer weather and time spent readying their cruising sailboat. As I struggled into the second verse I started writing about how nice it is to be able to walk the dog barefoot in the cool grass in the summer. What??  That verse went into the trash and I turned back to the subject I started with, sailing and the change of seasons.  So I mess up the words at one point here, but I swear learning my own songs is harder than learning a cover. Part of that is wanting to put the freshly finished song out of my mind so I have wide open space to start another.  And I'm afraid part of it is some kind of mental laziness.  I promised myself I wouldn't become impatient to finish this song just to get the other new ones that I wanted to have fun with.  So it took a few weeks longer than I thought (they usually do) but I'm glad to be done with it in a happy way.

No comments:

Post a Comment